Academic Advisory Council (NBAAC)
Newlonsburg Elementary School
Academic Advisory Council Guidelines
- Improve the quality of education through building based decision-making.
- Place the decision-making closer to the teacher and learner.
- Listen and respond more effectively to the needs of the district’s constituents.
- Regularly monitor the learning environment for students to maximize student achievement.
- Implement the mission and shared values of the district.
- Examine, interpret and communicate assessment information.
- Monitor and improve student achievement.
II. Membership and Terms
- The Academic Advisory Council is a representative body and those selected must report any decisions back to the school and community. The members of the Newlonsburg Academic Advisory Council will include:
- Building Principal
- Support personnel
- Parents (includes representatives from all student subgroups)
- Ad hoc members for specific purposes (ex. Act 48 members)
- Terms – Membership, on voluntary basis, begins at the beginning of the school year and ends at the end of the school year.
- The Academic Advisory Council will meet regularly during the school year. The date and time for meetings will be established by Academic Advisory Council and communicated to all constituents. The Academic Advisory Council, as needed, may establish additional meetings. Any items to be included on the agenda must be submitted in writing to the meeting facilitator at least five days prior to the meeting. The facilitator will arrange the agenda. Topics brought up for discussion at the meeting will be included in the agenda for the following month.
IV. Duties of the Academic Advisory Council
The duties of the Academic Advisory Council shall include but not be limited to:
- Review, prioritize and discuss needs, concerns and programs of the school
- Adhere to the mission and shared values of the school and district
- Use share decision-making process
- Support, promote and communicate decisions from the Academic Advisory Council
- Develop strategies and delegate responsibilities to assure that we are meeting the needs of all stakeholders.
V. Recording Secretary
- The recording secretary will document the minutes of each meeting and supply them to the facilitator to be distributed to all constituents.
VI. Decision Making Process
- Decisions will be made by consensus of the Academic Advisory Council.